Hiring a nanny is a big deal with many factors to consider. A key decision is whether to hire a nanny through an agency or on your own. Not hiring an agency means you’ll have to do all the legwork yourself which can be time-consuming and difficult, especially if you don’t know where to start.
Using an agency can be a great way to find a nanny who meets your specific needs. The process of hiring a nanny through an agency can be a little bit daunting; However it’s worth it to have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you’re hiring a qualified and experienced nanny who has been vetted by an experienced agency. Agencies can also provide support after the nanny is hired, such as addressing any concerns or replacing the nanny if things go wrong.
Common Nanny Types
- Live-in nannies live with the family they work for full time. They are typically available 24/7 and can provide a high level of care for children.
- Live-out nannies do not live with the family they work for full time. They work a set number of hours per week and are not available overnight.
- Part-time nannies provide their services occasionally.
- Night nannies only work overnight to care for children. They can help with night feedings or diaper changes.
- Special skills nannies have skills or qualifications such as CPR training, first aid training, or experience with children with special needs
Choosing the Right Nanny
When choosing a nanny, it is important to consider your family’s needs and preferences such as:
- The age of your children. You may need a nanny with experience caring for infants or toddlers.
- Your family’s schedule. You may need a nanny who is available to work long hours or who can work nights or weekends.
- Your budget. The cost of nannies can vary depending on their experience, qualifications, and the number of hours they work.
- Your family’s values. You may want to choose a nanny who shares your religious beliefs.
The aim of an interview is to ensure that the candidate is a good fit for your family. Interviews can take place telephonically, face-face or as a trial day. Be sure to ask questions about their experience, qualifications, childcare philosophy and availability.
Using the Find Your Nanny Agency
FindYourNanny is a South African agency that has helped over 3000 families find their dream nannies. The FindYourNanny hiring process is simple and straightforward:
- Go to www.findyournanny.co.za and select a nanny type and placement package to suit your needs.
- Complete the online registration form and pay the once off registration fees.
- FindYourNanny will send you candidate profiles including experience and references.
- Select candidates to interview.
- Make an offer to the nanny you want to hire.
- Pay the placement fee for your chosen package.
- Onboard your nanny and provide them with information about your family, your expectations, and your house rules.