Now that Spring is upon us, our wardrobe choices are getting lighter for the warmer weather and our makeup should be too. Now is the time to pack away the darker colours & start playing around with some brighter colours. Switching up your makeup routine ensures that things are kept fresh and on point. I think that this year is going to be all about natural beauty with pops of colour here and there. I don’t know about you, but ever since COVID-19 hit, I find myself gravitating more towards wearing a lighter application of makeup and letting my natural beauty stand out.
Here are some of my tips for a smooth transition from winter makeup to spring:
- Lots of water – warmer days mean that your skin will need more water for hydration.
- Do not skip the sunblock. This goes without saying. Harmful UV & UBV rays can lead to pigmentation and premature ageing of the skin.
- Prep & prime – Now that the days are going to be warmer, we need our makeup to last all day. Incorporating a primer into your makeup routine not only fills in any fine lines & wrinkles, but also helps with the staying power of your makeup. My favourite primer to use now is the CATRICE 10 in 1 primer. It does everything and has an SPF in it for that added benefit.
- Change up your foundation – Warmer, hotter days means more time in the sun and with more time in the sun your skin also starts to warm up. Changing up your foundation by a shade or 2 darker is a must or alternatively you can bronze up your face with a matt bronzer. For a lighter foundation coverage, I love mixing a little moisturizer in with my foundation.
- Glow up – I love adding lots of highlighter to my makeup routine in Spring. This gives my skin an amazing healthy glow. Highlight your cheekbones, down the bridge of your nose, cupids bow, under the brow bone and inner tear duct. For some added glow, I love to highlight my collar bones and shoulders as well. I use the CATRICE Luminance highlighter palette.
- Bronze me up – add some warmth to the face for a Sunkissed finish. I add bronzer on my forehead, between my cheekbones and jawline, under the jawline and down the sides of my nose. This also helps to chisel and carve out the face.
- Swap out the lipsticks & opt for gloss. Lip gloss has a light texture and is perfect for lighter Spring days.
- Adorn the spring nails colours – this is my favourite thing to change up in Spring. I love the brighter nail colours like yellow, mint, pink, baby blues and lilac. The brighter the nail colour, the better.
I for one cannot wait to be laying out in the sun and spending lots of time with the kids by the pool.
Decluttering your home:
With changing up your makeup routine, I think there is also a need to spring clean and declutter your home and let go of things you do not necessarily need. When I do this, it makes me feel so much lighter. Getting rid of unnecessary baggage and freeing up space is so important for my mental & emotional wellbeing. Having kids, we tend to hoard so many toys, clothes, books, and school supplies. I can’t tell you the amount of time that gets spent trying to find things.
By decluttering I know exactly where things are. Everything has a place and life is so much calmer.
Here are my tips to a seamless decluttering & organising process:
- Make a list of the areas you want to declutter and organise. E.g. Pantry, closet, kids toys etc.
- Invest in a label machine. This way everything can be labelled, and it saves time opening cupboards and containers to see what exactly is inside.
- Purchase storage containers and boxes. In the long run, it’s a saving and it looks better and neater than having things kept in black bags and boxes. This can be done over time, so that it doesn’t become an expensive process.
- When decluttering and organising make different piles. A pile to giveaway, a pile to throw away, a storage pile and a keep pile.
- For my pantry, I have slowly started the conversion to plastic containers and have everything labelled. A container for flour, sugar, pasta, cereal etc. It has made my life so much easier as I have no half-opened bags lying everywhere clipped with pegs. I have bought baskets for sweets, chips, and biscuits so that everything is packed neatly.
- For the closet, I like to have it repacked for every season. With Spring/Summer approaching, I like to pack winter coats etc that take up space in big plastic containers and throw in some moth & fragrance balls to keep it fresh then pack it away in the garage and have it labelled so if ever I need to look for something I know exactly where it is. In my closet with the items that do remain, I colour coordinate and pack similar items together.
- For the kids, I only keep the items that the kids play with now and pack everything else away in storage baskets. I get rid of broken toys and donate what they have outgrown.
Whether you tackle this as part of a downsizing effort or simply to simplify your life, decluttering and organising an entire home is a big job. The best way to tackle it is in stages, room by room or cupboard by cupboard. Goodluck!