No matter their income, many South African families fall short of the recommendations for 2 to 3 servings of dairy a day. However, given the versatility of dairy, it is really easy to include it in meals, snacks, drinks and lunchboxes.
The Rediscover Dairy Sushi Sandwich is a great addition to any lunchbox (big and small). We love it because:
- It is versatile, because different food items can be included.
- It is a powerhouse lunchbox snack – high fibre, raw veggies and protein all in one.
- It is easy to eat, because each piece is bite size, so can adjust to different levels of appetite.
- It includes dairy and counts towards the recommended 3-A-DAY intake – you can used full fat, plain or flavoured cream cheese or cheese spread or even cottage cheese (plain or smooth).
- It is easy to make, so the kids can help and use their favourite ingredients.
- It can be made with high fibre, low GI brown or white bread.
- It caters to many different tastes and ingredients can include sticks of cheese, cream cheese, chicken, julienne vegetables (carrots, peppers, cucumber and baby marrow) and avo.
- It can include a combo of protein and veg and it a great way to include a daily raw veggie portion. The raw vegetables pair well with hard cheeses like gouda, cheddar or even feta and a protein like chicken, smoked chicken, tinned fish, salmon or beef strips.
See here how to make the Sushi Sandwich.
INGREDIENTS (1 Serving)
- 2 slices (2 x 30 g) of white bread, crusts removed
- 4 Tbsp (24 g) cream cheese or cheddar cheese spread
- A quarter red pepper (30 g), deseeded, thinly sliced
- A quarter carrot (20 g), peeled and thinly sliced
- Sweet chilli sauce to serve
- Cheese wedges to serve
- Raisins to serve
- Fruit to serve
- Place the bread on a clean, flat surface. Using a rolling pin, flatten the bread slightly.
- Spread the cheese spread evenly over the bread slices, leaving a 2 cm border along 1 edge.
- Top with red pepper and carrot strips (or any other fillings).
- Roll up to enclose filling and slice each roll into thirds. Serve with sweet chili sauce.