I think that most of us have experienced the wrath of COVID -19 and the havoc it has caused in our everyday lives and like most people, we have all grown quite tired of hearing about it.
Ever since COVID-19 hit I think it has worn us down and caused us such anxiety that we now have COVID -19 burnout. When the Pandemic first arose, I like most, was consumed by it. We watched the news and followed the stats closely and had so many sleepless nights.
Although COVID -19 is still very much a relevant topic, I think we are all yearning for a little bit of normalcy and wants things to look forward to and have conversations about things other than this cumbersome virus. We still want to stay in the loop with things that pertain to us like kids, school, updates, breakthroughs etc but we want to consume it at our own pace; not every time we open a social media app.
We have all been feeling a bit down and I don’t know about you, but I haven’t found the need to dress up or even put on makeup.
Now that most of us are back at the office or bracing ourselves to go back to work, I wanted to share my tips on how to achieve the “no makeup”, makeup look. Wearing a mask is also mandatory, so this look means we will look office-ready without the hassle, seeing as we are all still running our households and seeing to the kids schooling under the “new normal” circumstances.
The “no makeup”, makeup look
These days the makeup trend is all about the “no makeup, makeup look.” We are seeing a lot less makeup than before. Makeup is not ‘plonked’ on but rather more natural looking, letting your natural features come through.
Here are our tips to achieve the ‘no makeup, makeup look’
- Minimal foundation. Try mixing your foundation in with moisturizer so coverage is less. Don’t skip the sunblock. Wrinkles are the last thing we want to add to our already long list of worries.
- Conceal properly. Colour correct and conceal any discoloration or redness. Use the CATRICE colour correcting palette. Peach concealer underneath your foundation cancels outside blueness or darkness. Green concealer underneath your foundation cancels out redness.
- For shadow you want to choose a cream shimmer colour for eyes. You could even use a shimmer colour on the inside of your eyes to open it up. If you are not a fan of shimmer, then try using a single shade of eyeshadow all over the lid like a warm brown or orange. Use the CATRICE nude palette.
- Groom your brows and for a more natural look you could use brow gel. Use the CATRICE clear brow gel.
- Apply a coat of mascara and for a more subtle look you could also use brown mascara instead of black. Use the CATRICE glam & doll mascara.
- Bronzer and blush to warm up the cheeks and create definition. Use the CATRICE matt bronzing powder and luminice highlighter palette.
- Sweep of highlighter and a dash of gloss on the lips. Use the CATRICE volumizing lip gloss.
As moms on the go, we all need a little pick me up and confidence boost even if it is a little makeup to help us feel normal again. Feeling good about ourselves is an instant energy boost and mood enhancer.
Transitioning your summer closet to winter on a budget
Life is expensive – period! Finding smart ways to recycle my summer clothes to winter is something I love doing because it gives me an opportunity to wear my summer clothes in different ways and make it feel like a whole new outfit.
Here are my tips:
- Maxi dresses – throw on a long sleeve top underneath, a blazer or leather jacket, a pair of boots and we have a whole new outfit.
- Layering – I love layering my white shirts and throwing on a chunky knit or taking a dress and throwing over a knit.
- Invest in thick winter stockings. Recycle those summer skirts by pairing them up with winter stockings and boots.
- Add richer, deeper colours – most people will think neon colours should be tucked away for Summer but pairing it up with earth tones will make it perfect for Winter. For example, a neon bodysuit paired with a camel blazer makes it very wearable for Winter.
- Accessories are life changing and it is a less expensive way to change up an outfit. Layering up necklaces and adding a different earring can really breathe new life into an old outfit.
When I do have extra cash I can spend, I like to invest in statement pieces that will last me for years to come.
I invest in leather jackets, a few coloured winter scarfs, a few chunky knits, boots, sneakers or loafers, scarfs and hats or beanies.
My favourite past time is buying vintage items. You can pick up amazing steals and some name brand items too for a fraction of the cost. I love that the pieces you find are unique and no one else will have the same.
Sitting in my closet while the kids are asleep, and hubby is playing Fifa (yes this happens in my household too) and thinking up outfits is something I find so relaxing. Plus, it saves me time in the morning having to decide what to wear.
CATRICE Cosmetics is available at Dis-Chem pharmacies and online at Takealot, Zando, Superbalist & House of Cosmetics.