On this months letter we would to share some benefits of breastfeeding, correct positioning, soreness and tenderness.
“A baby nursing at a mother’s breast is an undeniable affirmation
of our rootedness in nature.”
Benefits of breastfeeding
- The nutrient balance in a mother’s milk is just right for her baby as he/she grows.
- There are at least 12 anti-inflammatory agents in breastmilk which promote a healthy immune system.
- Immunoglobulin-A in colostrum protects the baby against intestinal infection.
- Lactoferrin prevents the growth of pathogenic organisms.
- Breastfeeding decreases the risk of childhood asthma, bacterial infections, diarrhoea and allergies.
- Breastfeeding has been linked to improved dental hygiene and speech development.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast, ovarian and endometrial cancers in mothers.
- Breastfeeding mothers return to their pre-pregnancy weight sooner than their bottle feeding counterparts.
- Both mother and baby should be comfortable.
- Baby should be chest to chest, at the level of the breast, with mother’s arm well supported by pillows.
- Mother should support the breast, but avoid lifting.
- Hold the breast with one hand and the baby with the other.
- Once the baby has opened the mouth wide enough, swiftly bring the baby to the breast.
- Soreness v/s Tenderness
- Caused by poor latch, incorrect positioning or bad alignment.
- Correct feeding techniques should be learned.
- Use ointment (sparingly and only on the sore area).
- Start the feeding on the least sore side.
- Slight tenderness is normal.
- Initial discomfort with latch should not last more than 30 seconds, max 60 seconds.
- Mother should be encouraged to air-dry her breast.
- Use of different positions may decrease tenderness.
- Blisters, “lipstick” shape of the nipples, redness or any bleeding is not normal.
- At the end of the feeding, nipples should be round and slightly elongated.
- Hold the baby more closely with more of areola in the mouth.
A Note from the establishers of Milk Galore brand:
As a mom myself who struggled to breastfeed my son my option was formula milk of which was not my desired option as I wanted the best for my son. We then researched natural stimulators that would assist not only a 1sttime mom like myself who was struggling to feed her baby but all mothers who faced the same struggle. We at Milk Galore understand and have a heart for both the mom and the newly born. The natural instinct and incredible feeling when a mom breastfeeds is a precious gift a mom can give her baby. Our desire is to ensure that all mothers have that privilege of sharing that gift with their newly borns.
Milk Galore has a solution that has incorporated natural herbs that may assist to stimulate lactation for breastfeeding women. It is rich in iron and thus very good for lactating mothers since they are more in need of iron than others. Moreover, cumin is said to help ease and increase secretion of milk in lactating women due to presence of Thymol, which tends to increase secretions from glands, including milk which is a secretion from mammary glands.
Milk Galore products can be bought online www.milkgalore.co.za