There’s nothing worse than having the whole family down with a cold or the flu, so here’s some helpful tips from Clicks Pharmacist Waheed Abdurahman to help you get through this winter hassle-free.
- Get the flu jab – The flu vaccination can be effective even administered as late as July. It’s really a case of better late than never!
- Avoidance – Try to stay away from those who are sick. If you are the sick one, rather take the day off work and stay at home until you are better.
- Keep it clean – Wash your hands with soap and water and cover up when you cough or sneeze.
- If you do get the flu, it’s best to treat systematically:
- Remember to drink plenty of fluids;
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, and keep your hands clean with a waterless hand sanitiser;
- Use a humidifier to thin the air and improve breathing;
- Gargling with salt water may soothe a sore throat; and
- Get plenty of rest to give your body the best chance of recovery.
Stock up on the following flu relief essentials:
- Decongestants or a nasal inhaler may provide comforting relief for congested nasal passages.
- Antihistamines are helpful for sneezing and a runny nose.
- Throat lozenges to soothe a sore throat.
- Pain relievers to help reduce severity of pain and fever.
- Cough medicines to combat a dry or wet cough.
- Probiotics if your doctor has put you on antibiotics, should you get a secondary infection.