Every parent has heard these words “Please can we get a pet?” Children are drawn to animals and just love to play and cuddle with them. Pets however, are a huge responsibility so you need to make sure the whole family is ready for the commitment. Here are some questions for you to ask and answer before you make your decision.
- Are your children old enough and responsible enough for a pet?
- Does your child enjoy the outdoors, exercise and sports?
- Are they responsible for their own homework?
- Do they show compassion for other animals?
- Are they responsible and do all their chores without too much whining?
- Is the family ready for this commitment? There are costs involved which include food, kennels, and vet bills. Can you manage this?
- Do you have the time in the family’s busy schedule to care for the pet and exercise the pet?
- Is there someone at home during the day or will the pet be on its own for the day?
- How will the pet be cared for when you are away on holiday?
- Are you prepared to care for the pet for its whole life?
Some important thing to consider about your lifestyle before getting a pet:
- Other animals in the house. Consider how the new pet will fit in with your other pets.