Cheese contains a unique combination of valuable nutrients. It is not only nutritious but also delicious and versatile. Add it to dishes for flavour, eat it in moderate amount by itself or on a sandwich, or put it in a lunch box as a convenient snack.
There are many varieties of cheese. Some of the well-known ones are Cheddar, Gouda, Mozzarella and Feta. Cheese Packed with protein, calcium, zinc and other essential nutrients, cheese deserves its place as a healthy food item in your family’s diet – whichever one you choose.
Here’s why cheese is good for you:
- Cheese is an excellent source of good-quality protein. It contains all the essential building blocks (amino acids) you need to build strong bones and muscles.
- With one portion of cheese per day, that is two slices of cheese or 2 tablespoons of grated cheese (40 g), you get:
- 15% of your daily vitamin A needs – for good eyesight and to fight against disease
- 30% of your daily calcium needs – for strong, healthy bones and teeth
- 27% of your daily needed zinc – to support your immune system and help protect you against disease.
- Cheese fills you up with a unique combination of valuable nutrients and makes you feel fuller for longer, preventing unnecessary snacking.
- You can have a portion of cheese daily even if you have high cholesterol. Research shows that cheese has a neutral or even protective effect on heart disease.
- Hard cheeses such as Cheddar and Gouda contain little to no lactose, which makes them good choices in case of lactose intolerance.
- Protein, calcium and phosphorus in cheese help to protect your teeth against decay. Research shows that eating hard cheese directly after a meal is a good way to protect your teeth and keep them healthy.
To make cheese an affordable option in your diet, buy it in bulk when it is offered at a good price. Grate everything and then store it in smaller amounts in an airtight container or plastic bag in the freezer. This way the cheese will last long. You can use it directly from the freezer as needed.
Choose cheese as a snack or part of a meal to:
- Help you reach your goal of 3 servings of dairy a day so that you get enough calcium for healthy bones
- Keep your teeth in tip-top shape so that you can keep smiling
- Help you regulate your appetite and feel fuller for longer.
For more cheese tips, visit www.rediscoverdairy.co.za