Convenience, when taking your pump to work or on holiday is so important because, don’t we all just want a little bit of extra help? The conventional steam sanitizing systems are super bulky and not at all practical for travel. Let the Clean Ease be your secret little helper. It is so easy to use, hygienic (only you are using it) as well as time and space saving.
A big question is how often I need to sanitize my breast pump parts and when can I stop doing so. This has often split mothers with their differing opinions. The recommendation from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may surprise you. The CDC recommends at least once daily. By sanitizing the parts after each time the parts are washed results in extra germ removal. This process is recommended for the following babies (after each use):
- If your baby was born prematurely
- If you baby is under 3 months
- If you baby has a weakened immune system or is undergoing medical treatment
- If you feel that your parts need to be sterilized more often
If you want to continue to sanitize daily for longer this will continue to remove germs and will still be beneficial. If you are using your pump at work and you are not in control of the cleanliness of the space, then it may be recommended that you continue to clean and sanitize your pump parts.
Why do we like the Ameda CleanEase Microwave sanitizing bags so much? well that is easy:
- Quick sanitization of breast milk pump kit parts and accessories.
- Leakproof Zipper with slider for easy hold.
- BPA free.
- Expandable bottom.
- It stands on its own.
- 20 uses for bag (with tick off reminder).
Basically, all you need to do is pop your cleaned pump parts into the Clean Ease bag add 60ml of water. Seal the bag with the easy-to-use zipper. Use your microwave as per the correct setting and time. These settings are as follows 5 minutes in 600-750W, 3 minutes 800-1100W and 1.5minutes for >1100W.
The CleanEase bag has some nice features to prevent you from scalding yourself on the steam or hot water. The bag and its contents will now be super-hot with steam and water. Once your microwave has beeped, open it up and take the Clean Ease bag out using the protective grip. There is an easy pour slit on the side opposite to the protective grip. This means that the steam can escape and that you will be able to pour out the hot water and steam from the opposite side to your hands without needing to open the bag. Pour out the water and then you are ready to use the parts. The CleanEase can also be used as a carry bag for your pump parts while you are traveling. Remember to tick off each use on the front of the bag, this help you to keep track of how many times the bags has been used and when it is time to replace it.
A great feature is that you are the only person who uses the bag and that you are in control of how clean it is and how often the water is changed. This is really nice for mothers with a baby in NICU as you can take your own sanitizing bag to the NICU and use it there.
Some tips for keeping your pumping parts clean and sanitized:
- Only wash and sterilize the parts that need to be. With the Ameda closed system you only need to sterilize the bottle valve, diaphragm and flange. Please do not sterilize the tubing or adaptor cap.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before starting
- Rise your pump parts with cold water as soon as possible after you have used them.
- Wash each part separately using a brush and soapy water expect for the valve, as a brush may damage the valve.
- Make sure you have cleaned the parts correctly and that there is no milk residue on the parts. If milk residue is left it will cook on to the part and can be a spot where bacteria can grow.
- Rinse again in clean water to remove all soap residue.
- Sanitize the parts and then allow to completely dry before use.
- Avoid using dish towels to dry your pump parts. Rather set them aside on a clean paper towel to dry.
- Once your pump parts are dry, assemble your pump so that it is ready for use.
- Avoid touching the inside section of your pump parts that will be touching your breast milk.
- Heating for longer than recommended can cause damage to the bag and the contents.
- Only sanitize your breast pump parts or similar accessories. Do not use this bag to sanitize metal parts as it will damage the bag and microwave.
- On a regular basis, check your pump parts or accessories for any cracks, chips or tears
Cleaning and sanitising your pump parts is an important step in making sure that you are giving your baby a healthy start. By using the Ameda CleanEase microwave sterilizing bags this step is made easier and safer for you.