Although we absolutely love the summer months, it is also the time of year we have more mosquitoes. Not only do we hate the dreaded zzzzzzzzzzz sound all throughout the night, some people may have severe reactions to mozzie bites, especially children. Here is how to know if you or your little one is allergic
The more times a person has been bitten by mosquitoes; the more likely they’ll become desensitized over time. That means adults typically have less serious reactions to mosquito bites than children do. Common symptoms of mosquito bites include soft bumps on the skin that may become pink, red, and itchy. Symptoms may occur up to 48 hours after the initial bite. According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology contact with a mosquito must be six seconds or longer to produce a reaction.
Symptoms of a more severe allergic reaction may include:
- large area of itching
- bruises near the site of the bite
- lymphangitis (inflammation of the lymph system)
- hives (at or around the bite)
- anaphylaxis (a rare, life-threatening condition that results in swelling in the throat and wheezing and requires immediate medical attention)
Allergic reactions aren’t the only concern regarding mosquito bites. Mosquitoes can also transmit serious diseases, such as:
- dengue fever
- encephalitis (brain infection)
- yellow fever
- meningitis (brain and spinal cord inflammation)
Signs that it may be something other than an allergic reaction include:
- severe headache
- body aches
- nausea or vomiting
- light sensitivity
- neurological changes (such as muscle weakness on one side of the body)
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
Mosquito bite allergies are rare, but the reactions can be serious enough to warrant immediate medical treatment. If you have this type of allergy, you may consider ongoing treatment from an allergy specialist — especially if you live in mosquito-prone areas. Mosquito bite allergies don’t cause any long-term illnesses or lifestyle intrusions when they’re properly managed. Just be aware of these pests and have the right tools on hand in case you get bitten.