Managing a baby’s portion control can be tricky, especially if you are a new parent. However, this can be made easy if you have the right equipment in your feeding arsenal! Take a look at why portion control is important for your child, and how to get it right with the perfect plate.
Developing Healthy Habits Through Baby Portion Control
From an early age, your child is picking up on how to interact with the world. Therefore, instilling a healthy relationship with food is vital for your baby. Portion control can help your child avoid:
All of the above mentioned health problems can be linked to the practice of overeating – which is scary.
The Do’s And Don’ts Of Baby Portion Control
Below are a number of suggested habits to get yourself into to strengthen your baby’s portion control:
- Do Allow Self Feeding: This will help your baby develop not only a good relationship with food, but also the ability to determine when he or she is satisfied.
- Do Try Various Flavours: This will allow you to suss out which are your little one’s favourites, and will allow your baby to widen their pallet.
- Do Make Use Of A Divide Plate: If you don’t know the first thing about baby portion size, get something to guide you along the way. A Product such as the Twistshake Divide Plate will do just that, showing you how much to dish up for your baby without leaving them stuffed or starving.
- Don’t Encourage Plate Completion: This is a grave mistake made by many parents. Encouraging your child to finish a whole plate of food may give them a poor relationship with food, as they are being forced to continue eating even once they are full. Rather ask them if they are satisfied and have had enough. If they say yes, trust them on this.
- Don’t Use Food As A Rewards System: This will also deepen an unhealthy relationship with food. Rather than coaxing them into doing something with the promise of a sweetie, reward them in other ways.