Starting solids is a huge milestone for baby and for parents. Very often parents are keen to start as soon as possible.
Signs Baby is Ready for Solids
Check these signs baby is ready for solids before giving baby his or her first foods:
- Baby can hold head up well unsupported
- Baby sits well when supported
- Makes chewing motions when you eat
- Baby is curious when you eat (tries to grab food)
- Baby has doubled birth weight
- Baby has good coordination
- Loss of tongue-thrust reflex (for about the first 4 months the tongue-thrust reflex protects baby from choking)
It is best to wait until baby is 6 months or older to start solids.