Emotional Intelligence is like freshly-squeezed orange juice! When you squeeze an orange, you would expect orange juice to flow out of it. You would not expect to find grape juice or peach juice inside an orange because an orange only has orange juice inside it to give.
Human behavioural choices are based on what we have inside to give-much like that orange. What we have inside to give is based on how we feel about ourselves as a person. And…. How we feel about ourselves as a person influences every choice we make!
Every choice that we make defines the path of our lives! All negative behaviours are based on fear, low self-esteem, self-defeating and destructive self-talk and low self-value. Consider, for a moment, how, nobody, who values and respects himself would want hurt for another! The very act of self- value and self- respect ensures that he will give that out to others! This is the essence of the importance of teaching and enhancing emotional intelligence skills in our children!
Emotional intelligence encompasses skills in self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy and social skills. Children who master emotional intelligence skills become better leaders, are able to study more effectively, enjoy more fulfilling relationships with others, are better able to retain information, have better concentration skills and live happier more fulfilled lives. Schools who teach emotional intelligence skills have fewer bullying incidences and learning for all is more exciting, creative and effective!
Here are some helpful tips that you can use to help enhance your child’s emotional intelligence skills:
- Communication is key. We need to talk to our children about their emotions and listen sincerely to their answers-without judgement. This will help them become more aware of how they are feeling and, with your encouragement, they will find more positive solutions to any number of challenges. Use phrases such as:
“How was your day?’ “What was the best/worst thing that happened today?’ “How did that make you feel?” “I hear you…” “I can understand how that must have upset you…”
- Teach your children to take responsibility for the choices that they have made. Blaming others has no value. We all make mistakes- own them and learn from them. Help your children understand that every choice has a consequence. We are free to make any choice that we want. The consequences, however, will be there no matter what.
- Teach your children to value who they are so that they will value others around them
- Children do what we do and not what we say. Walk-your-talk.
- Enrol your child on one of Step Up Education Centre’s excellent courses in emotional intelligence.
Mastering EQ skills is essential to living a better life. And who does not want that?
Sharing our content with parents you know will go a long way to making us smile for the day