Ideal as a finger food, snack or even a meal. Eat them warm or cold. Refrigerate or freeze
So I spent Friday cooking and freezing vegetables en masse for #babyjake. And at the end of it, I had used up all my ice cube trays and just didn’t have it in me to keep on trucking, but I had quite a bit of left over veggies that I didn’t want to go to waste. Unsure of what to do with my left over veggies, I needed a quick and easy solution… Enter baby quiche cakes… Success! #babyjake loved it! Easy, convenient and seriously healthy!
- 3 cups almond flour or 2 cups regular flour (I opted for almond flour just to add in the nutritional boost of the almonds. You could also use coconut flour, wholewheat flour, corn flour or good old cake flour… pick and choose whatever suits you best).
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (can also use olive oil)
- 3-5 cups worth of any veggies (see below for ideas)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups yoghurt (I used the Double Cream Plain yoghurt from Woolies)
- 1 Tbs baking powder
You could use a mix of any of these:
- Grated or diced carrot
- Grated baby marrow
- Chopped / shredded spinach
- Chopped broccoli
- Frozen / tinned corn
- Frozen peas
- Chopped red peppers
- Chopped mushrooms
- Grated apple
- Mashed banana
- Mashed sweet potato (would need to steam / mash first)
- Mashed butternut (would need to steam / mash first)
- You could also add some tuna / sardines for extra protein but you already have the egg / cheese / yoghurt so not necessary
- I used peas, carrot, broccoli, spinach & sweet potato.
Throw all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl to combine, and then spoon the batter into a muffin tray. Pop in the oven, and bake for 20+ minutes at 180 degrees celsius. Until they appear golden brown and firm.
Cool on a wire rack, and the egg will continue to set as the muffins cool. Place in a tupperware in the fridge for a couple days, or freeze.
Made about 36 muffins, which I froze and will take out once a day as a snack / easy meal. I just broke it up into little bite size pieces and #babyjake gobbled away with sheer delight.
You could give this from 7 months +