A fun way to make cupcakes! Get the kids involved and get baking.
For The Cupcakes:
- 12 Sugar cones
- 1 ½ Cups of all- purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ½ Cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 ½ Teaspoons of vanilla essence
- ¾ Cup milk
- Buttercream icing (or pre-made icing available at any convenience store)
- Food colouring
- Chopped roasted salted peanuts
- Maraschino cherries
- Assorted candy sprinkles
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees. Cover your pan (using a releasing pan and remove the bottom, work only with the outer section) with a double layer of heavy-duty foil. Use a skewer or paring knife to poke 12 holes in the foil. Gentle place a cone in each hole, ouching it down until only about 2 ½ cm of the cone is showing.
- Make cupcakes: Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with two additions of milks, and beating until combined after each. Fill each cone with 2 / 3 tablespoons of batter. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centres comes out clean, 18 – 20 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate cupcakes: Tinti some of the buttercream with your desired colour. Use and Ice-cream scoop to place buttercream on top of the cupcake, then top with sprinkles. For “soft serve” cones, use a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip to pipe buttercream in a swirl over cone, then top with multi-coloured sprinkles, peanuts and top with a cherry.