For The Cake
- Vegetable oil / Cooking spray
- 1 ½ Cups cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ½ Cupe plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup skim milk
- ⅓ Canola oil
- 1 ½ Teaspoons vanilla essence
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 Large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon castor sugar
For the Lemon Curd:
- 4 Large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon, plus ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 ⅓ Cups granulated sugar
- ⅓ Cup cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 ⅓ Cups blueberries, lightly crushed
Directions – Cake
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Make the cake: Coat two round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside. Whisk together ¼ cup sugar, the milk, oil, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl; set aside.
- Put egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until foamy. Raise speed to medium-high. Gradually add remaining ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Fold in remaining flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the egg white mixture. Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn out cakes onto rack. Let cool completely.
Directions – Curd
- Put egg yolks into a medium heatproof bowl; set aside. Whisk together lemon zest, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Add 1 ½ cups water and the lemon juice; whisk until sugar and cornstarch have dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; gradually whisk one-third of the lemon mixture into the reserved egg yolks. Pour mixture into pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 ½ minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a bowl; place plastic wrap directly on surface. Refrigerate until firm and cold, at least 1 hour (up to 1 day).
- Fold blueberries into curd; set aside. Trim top and bottom of one cake to be flat. Cut each cake in half horizontally. Set untrimmed bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup curd. Repeat with trimmed halves for second and third layers. Top with untrimmed top layer. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.