3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
170 grams cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tablespoon pomegranate juice
Small red sugar hearts, for decorating
Equipment: round cookie cutter, heart-shaped cookie cutter
Prepare dough as directed and chill for 2 hours.
Making the cookie Dough
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in colour.
- Add egg and milk and beat to combine. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl. Divide the dough in half, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with powdered sugar.
- Remove 1 wrapped pack of dough from refrigerator at a time, sprinkle rolling pin with powdered sugar, and roll out.
- Move the dough around and check underneath frequently to make sure it is not sticking. If dough has warmed during rolling, place cold cookie sheet on top for 10 minutes to chill.
Bringing it all together
- With your round cookie cutter, cut 72 dough rounds, re-rolling dough as needed. With a small heart-shaped cookie cutter , cut hearts from the center of half the dough rounds.
- Place the rounds and cutouts onto lined baking sheets. Bake until just set but not brown, about 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the pan slightly before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: In a small bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, butter, confectioner’s sugar, and pomegranate juice until smooth and fluffy. Spread about 1 teaspoon filling on each round cookie and top with a cut-out cookie. Place a red candy heart in the center of each. Leftover filling can be used to sandwich the small hearts together.