• All-purpose flour, for rolling 1 homemade or store-bought single-crust pie dough
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 2 cups medium diced onion (from 1 large onion)
• Coarse salt and ground pepper
• 6 large eggs
• 3/4 cup heavy cream
• 340 grams bacon, cooked and crumbled
• 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly flour a rolling pin and work surface and roll out dough to a 12-inch round. Place in a pie plate, fold overhang under, and crimp edge. Place a sheet of parchment paper over dough and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until edge is dry and light golden, about 20 minutes. Remove parchment and weights.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pan, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and cream. Add onion, bacon, and cheese and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Whisk to combine, pour into crust, and bake until center of quiche is just set, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.