4 slices low GI bread
100 g avocado (1/2 medium)
1.25 ml salt (1/4 t)
freshly ground black pepper
120 g lower fat cheese, grated (size of 4 matchboxes before grating)
30 ml sweet chilli sauce (2 T)
- Preheat the oven to 120 degrees.
- Toast the bread lightly in a toaster.
- Place thetoast on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Mash the avocado and flavour with a little salt and pepper. Spread evenly on the slices of toast.
- Divide the cheese between the slices of toast to cover the avocado.
- Place in the oven and bake for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Drizzle the sweet chilli sauce over the avo snackers.
- Serve immediately with baby tomatoes, cucumber fingers, snap peas and butter lettuce drizzled with balsamic vinegar, but no oil.
- This is an example of how margarine, which is high in polyunsaturated fatty acids, can be replaced with avocado, which is high in monounsaturated fatty acids.
- Remember that the most natural fat to the body is monounsaturated.
- The total fat of this meal is already at the recommended level of 13g per meal and so it is better not to add another fat (no oil in the dressing on the salad).
- Sweet chilli sauce is thickened with corn flour and is high in sugar, making it a concentrated source of carbohydrate, and thus has a GL and GI. This also applies to many other condiments. All sauces and condiments should thus be used in small amounts.
NUTRIENTS PER PORTION
GI low (52)
Carbohydrates 21 g
Protein 14 g
Fat 13 g
Saturated fat 4 g
Fibre 3 g
One serving is equivalent to:
1 ½ protein