This easy-to-make classic is a failproof winner for all busy moms! We’ve taken our version of this dish to the next level by adding more flavour and some extra crunch. Cheese is a good source of calcium, protein, and phosphorus; three nutrients particularly important to help build and maintain healthy bones, making our Triple Mac and Cheese a nutritious meal with each serving including about 60 grams of cheese.
Serves 4-6 people
- 100 g salted butter
- 100 g (3/4 cup) flour
- 750 ml full-cream milk
- 180 g (1.½ cup) grated mild cheddar cheese
- 120 g (1 cup) grated white mature cheddar cheese
- 40 g (1/3 cup) parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 500 g pasta – fusilli is recommended
For the topping
- 60 g (1/2 cup) mild cheddar cheese (as a topping)
- 1 small packet sour cream and chives crisps – crushed (get the kids to help out)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Bring a big pot of water to the boil then season well with salt. Cook the pasta by following the package instructions.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, start the triple cheese sauce. In a large saucepan, on a medium-high heat, melt the butter, then add all the flour. Whisk it together and cook them for about a minute. It should form a smooth paste called a roux. Then remove from the heat.
- Heat up the milk in the microwave for about 2-4 minutes, this will prevent lumping. Add small amounts of the hot milk to the roux, and mix well until incorporated each time. Cook the sauce for a few minutes, whisking the entire time with a hand whisk for about 5-10 min. Your white sauce should be nice and smooth and quite thick. If it’s too thick then just add a bit more milk.
- Remove the pan from the heat and then add the cheeses, give it a good stir until all the cheese have melted.
- Add the paprika and mustard powder, mix well.
- Season with salt and ground pepper. Set aside.
- Once the noodles are done, firm to the bite – al dente, drain and then return them to the pot, pour about 3/4 of the cheese sauce into the pasta and give it a good stir with spoon.
- Pour the Triple Mac and Cheese into a greased, oven proof dish. Add the remaining cheese sauce on top of the pasta and smooth it out using the back of a spoon. Make sure you cover the entire surface.
- In a small bowl decant the packet of crisps and crush it. Mix the half cup of grated cheddar cheese with the crisps. Sprinkle this mixture on top of the Mac and Cheese. Pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 280 g
- Energy (kJ) 1434
- Protein (g) 13.2
- Total Carbohydrates (g) 34.2
- Fat (g) 16
- Calcium (mg) 162
To download the recipe card and find other dairy inspired recipes, visit